In January of each year, the United States celebrates Martin Luther King Jr. Day on the month’s third Monday. MLK, of course, is best known for courageously leading the fight for racial equality during the civil rights movement in the United States. Due to his invaluable contributions toward this effort, his legacy in America endures.
When Americans celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day, they are not just celebrating his birthday. They are celebrating his legacy and how he helped make civil rights a reality in America. In 1983, Martin Luther King Jr. Day became an official federal holiday. Over the last 35 years since then, America has celebrated this holiday by helping others and serving their communities.
There is no requirement for banks to close their doors on any federal holiday. However, most banks will typically stay closed on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. There are a few banks that stay open on this holiday which will be mentioned below.
With the chart below, you can view the Monday in January that MLK Day is observed. For example, in the year 2020, the holiday’s date is Monday, January 20th.
Which Banks Are Open on Martin Luther King Day?
Big banks tend to observe Martin Luther King Jr. Day and will be closed. It is the credit unions and smaller community banks which may stay open on MLK Day.
Also, if bank branches are located inside supermarkets and grocery stores, those banks might be open too.
The best way to know if your bank is open on Martin Luther King Jr. Day is to call them on the phone and ask. You can also visit your local branch online and check their hours as well.
Here are three branches which have limited availability on Martin Luther King Jr. Day:
– PNC Bank has branches in some Giant, Kroger, and Giant Eagle stores that might stay open for a limited number of hours on Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Regular standalone branches of PNC Bank will be closed.
– Huntington Bank has branch offices inside select grocery stores like Meijer and Giant Eagle. These branches are open on MLK Day for a limited number of hours. As for the main branches, they stay closed.
– Fifth Third Bank has branches in some Kroger and Jungle Jim’s stores that might stay open. You will need to contact the local branches of the bank to find out more information.
Which Banks Are Closed on Martin Luther King Day?
Most banks in the United States, large and small, are closed on Martin Luther King Jr. Day and on all other federal holidays. This means you won’t find any open branches of major banks like Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Citibank, Chase, BB&T, Regions, and so on.
The good news is that you can still perform most of your banking activities without even needing an open branch.
For instance, you can deposit checks and manage your bank accounts on the internet or by going to your local branch’s ATM. If you need to call customer service, your bank will likely have a 1-800 number that is available 24/7, even on holidays. But if you have a serious banking issue that you need to address inside the branch, then make sure to plan ahead so that you can take care of it before the MLK holiday.
Frequently Asked Questions About MLK Day
Is Martin Luther King Jr. Day a Federal Holiday?
- Yes, Martin Luther King Jr. Day became a Federal Holiday starting in 1983.
Do ATMs work on Martin Luther King Jr. Day?
- Yes, ATMs will be accessible on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Do mobile bank apps work on MLK Day?
- Yes, banking apps will be operational on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Will checks be processed on MLK Day?
- No, checks will be processed the day after Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Are post offices open or closed on MLK Day?
- Post offices are closed on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Is the stock market open or closed on MLK Day?
- NYSE, NASDAQ, and all other stock markets in America are closed on MLK Day.
Are schools open or closed on MLK Day?
- With rare exceptions, all public schools will be closed on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Is the DMV open or closed on MLK Day?
- Department of Motor Vehicle offices are closed on MLK Day.